SOCAR GPC - Gas Processing & Petrochemical Complex (GPC)
The State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic's (SOCAR) is planning a gas processing and petrochemical complex (GPC), covering an area of approximately 4,500ha, will be located near Sangachal terminal, along the boundaries of the Absheron and Garadagh Districts, approximately 60km south of Baku.
The new complex is expected to replace the existing processing facilities in Baku and Sumgait. The products from the complex will primarily meet the domestic demands and the excess will be exported. The capacity of the complex will be around 10 billion cubic meters of gas per year.
The US$17,000 million project includes the following:
1. Construction of a gas processing plant with a capacity of 12 billion m3 (BCM)
2. Construction of a petrochemical plant
3. Construction of 850,000 TPA integrated steam cracker unit
4. Construction of polypropylene and polyethene unit
5. Construction of a 250 MW thermal power plant
6. Construction of a 600,000TPA polyethene unit
7. Construction of a 610,000TPA ethylene pyrolysis plant
8. Construction of a 130,000TPA propylene plant
9. Construction of 32,000TPA Butene-1 and 21,000TPA Hexen-1 plants
10. Construction of a 42,000 TPA benzene plant
11. Construction of a 25,000 TPA gasoline plant
12. Construction of associated facilities
1. Construction of diesel hydro-treatment unit
2. Construction of isomerization unit
3. Construction of methyl tertiary-butyl ether
4. Construction of fluid catalytic cracking gasoline treatment
5. Construction of sour water stripper
6. Construction of amine treatment unit
7. Construction of a sulphur recovery unit
8. Construction of new hydrogen (H2) production unit
9. Construction of new Bitumen Blowing Unit
10. Construction of associated facilities
1. Construction of crude and vacuum distillation unit
2. Construction of fluid catalytic cracking unit
3. Construction of continuous catalytic reforming unit
4. Construction of associated facilities
28 August 2020
GPC: Phase 1: Petrochemical Plant: Main contract is yet to be awarded
21 May 2020
GPC: Phase 1: Petrochemical Plant: The project is still under bid evaluation and the time frame for the main contract award is unknown at this juncture.
20 November 2019
Bids are still under evaluation.
26 July 2019
Bid evaluation is underway and the following joint venture companies have submitted bids for Petrochemical Plant Phase I: (1) A joint venture between Tecnicas Reunidas SA, Hyundai Engineering & Construction Co Ltd and Technip; (2) A joint venture between NIPIneftegas, Samsung Engineering Co Ltd and Tecnimont SpA;
03 May 2019
The main contract tender has been issued and the bid evaluation process is underway. We are in the process of identifying the bidders.
21 February 2019
Technip, Axens, Sinopec Tech, and Univation are the companies providing technology and licenses for the project.
26 November 2018
Tender has been issued for Phase I gas processing plant main contract and it is expected to award in September 2019.
18 September 2018
GPC: Central Utilities Off Sites (CUOS) and Phase 1: Petrochemical Plant: Tenders are not yet issued.
07 June 2018
Design activities are underway.
30 March 2018
Dutch ING Bank, the China Development Bank (CDB) and the Russian Gazprombank are the financial advisors and CDB bank is the main creditor for the project.
28 November 2017
Design activities are underway.
02 June 2017
GPC: Central Utilities Off Sites (CUOS) China Huanqiu Contracting and Engineering Corporation, subsidiary of China National Petroleum Corporation and Technip Italy have signed a service agreement for the preliminary detailed design work on the project.
15 May 2017
SOCAR signed a MoU with HQC and Technip Italy for the preliminary detailed design work of gas processing plant and polyethylene petrochemical complex.
04 January 2017
SOCAR awarded a series of contracts to Technip to deliver technology licensing and design work for petrochemical complex and LNG recovery for the gas processing plant.
13 May 2011
SOCAR announced plans to build the Oil and Gas Processing and Petrochemical Complex project in Azerbaijan.